Only £55 with results in 7 working days
Our Hyperuricosuria DNA Test for Uric Acid is a fast and effective way of determining whether or not your dog has the potential to develop Hyperuricosuria or pass it on to any offspring.
What is Hyperuricosuria (HUU)?
Hyperuricosuria (HUU) is an inherited autosomal recessive disorder. Affected dogs have elevated levels of uric acid in their urine which accumulates and can form stones in the bladder or sometimes in the kidneys. These stones often require surgery to remove them.
Symptoms usually present when the dog is around 3-6 years old and include blood in the urine, difficulty or pain when urinating, or frequent small amounts of urine.
Extreme cases occur when a stone completely blocks the urethra and affected dogs will strain to urinate, vomit and display a loss of appetite, weakness and lack of energy due to the build up of toxins in the body.
What will Hyperuricosuria DNA Test Results Tell You?
Using a simple swab from the inner cheek of your dog, we will ascertain whether your dog carries the mutation associated with Hyperuricosuria. We will also inform you whether or not your dog is a carrier of the mutated gene, which allows you to make an informed choice as to whether or not to breed from the dog.
Once we receive the dog’s buccal swabs, we undertake tests that will give one of three possible outcomes:
- A CLEAR result shows that the dog has inherited two genes from its parents that are mutation free. The dog will not develop Hyperuricosuria and cannot pass faulty genes on to any offspring.
- A CARRIER result indicates that the dog has inherited one normal copy of the relevant gene, and one mutation. This means that the dog has a strong likelihood of passing on the condition to offspring, but not of developing the condition itself. Where a potential mate also carries the gene mutation, any offspring will be at high risk of developing the condition and also of passing it on.
- An AFFECTED result indicates that the dog has inherited two copies of the mutated gene from its parents and is highly likely to develop bladder stones over the course of its lifetime. It will definitely pass on the mutation to any offspring.
Please click on the image below to view our Hyperuricosuria DNA Test Result Chart:
Which Breeds Can Be Tested?
The Hyperuricosuria DNA Test can be carried out on all breeds.
Dalmatians, Bulldogs and Black Russian Terriers are known to be significantly affected by Hyperuricosuria.
Other Dog DNA Tests from AffinityDNA
As well as the Hyperuricosuria DNA Test we also offer a range of inherited disease screening tests including:
- Degenerative Myelopathy Test (DM)
- Exercise Induced Collapse Testing (EIC)
- Multidrug Resistance 1 MDR1 Test
- PRCD-pra Testing
- von Willebrand Disease DNA Testing
Dog Allergy Testing, Dog Parentage Testing and a choice of dog DNA breed tests which include information about the personality traits and predisposition to diseases for each breed found in your dog’s DNA. Please click on each of the links below for more information:
If you have any questions about Hyperuricosuria DNA Testing for your dog, please do not hesitate to Contact our Customer Service Team who will be happy to help you.